Treatment of Sexual Concerns and Sexual Dysfunctions
There are many components that make up a relationship, and the role of sex is usually an important one. Because of this, I obtained years of education and professional training beyond my doctorate in clinical psychology in order to be able to help my clients address their sexual concerns. I am certified as a sex therapist with AASECT, the American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists, and I am a Diplomate with the American Board of Sexology.
I work with a variety of sexual dysfunctions and sexual problems.
For men, these often include one or more of the following: erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and delayed ejaculation (also called inhibited ejaculation or retarded ejaculation.)
For women, these often include the sexual pain syndromes (many women experience pain while being stimulated vaginally,) and lack of ability to have an orgasm.
But there are other sexual issues, as well, that are quite common.
Lack of sexual desire is a frequent concern for the individuals and couples with whom I meet. Did you know that approximately 20% of all married couples and 30% of non-married couples have sex less than 10 times a year, or never?
It is one thing if both members of a relationship have a lack of interest in having sex, but it is quite another when one member of the relationship has an interest and the other doesn't. “Frequency discrepancy” is often the term used when the two individuals in a relationship have very different levels of interest in engaging in sex. A frequency discrepancy can be extremely upsetting, both for the lower drive partner as well as the higher drive partner.
The following are some self-help books that I that have been found to be helpful in addressing sexual concerns:
- Men's Sexual Health: Fitness for Satisfying Sex, by Barry W. McCarthy and Michael E. Metz.
- Coping with Premature Ejaculation, by Michael E. Metz and Barry W. McCarthy.
- Coping with Erectile Dysfunction, by Michael E. Metz and Barry W. McCarthy.
- For Yourself: The Fulfillment of Female Sexuality, by Lonnie Barbach.
- The Vulvodynia Survival Guide: How to Overcome Painful Vaginal Symptoms and Enjoy an Active Lifestyle, by Howard Glazer and Gae Rodke.
Couples Sexual Issues:
- When Your Sex Drives Don't Match, by Sandra Pertot.
- The Ten Minute Sexual Solution, by Darcy Laudzers.
And then there's Paul Joannides Guide to Getting It On. Dr. Joannides updates this compendium every year, and it answers just about every question you might have about sex.